Saturday, January 21, 2012

Seeing strength in ourselves.

I am strong.

Can you say that to yourself? Can you say it and mean it?

I am strong.

It's tough to say those words and mean them. It's tough because we are taught to focus on what's wrong with us. We are taught to think less of ourselves. Throughout our childhood, we deal with bullies, or we bully, we deal with siblings and friends who bring us down for a laugh. We are taught it's ok to make fun of each other.
We call kids with red hair gingers, we call blondes stupid, we stereotype and judge, and are stereotyped and judged. It's vicious.
And it's considered alright.
We break down and allow it. We accept it. When we accept the judgments, we become those judgments. We become stupid. We become ugly. We become less than what we are. We become weak.
We aren't strong.
I am not strong.
How easy is it to say that?  Be honest to yourself. Personally, it's one of the easiest things I can say to myself.
It's easy. Easier than fighting it. Easier than holding back tears and the negativity that predominates society. It's easy to bring myself down.

I am strong because I know I am strong. I am smart because I know I am smart. I am because I know it.
You are the most important part of your life. You control you. You choose what you believe. If you believe you are strong, and choose to ignore the things that tell you you are weak, you become strong.
Is it easy? Not at all. It's hard. It isn't immediate either. It takes time.
But it works. If you believe you are strong, you are strong.
You are you. Nobody else is you. Nobody knows you as well as you do.
You can do it. If you are struggling with depression, or self injury, or drug addiction, you can make it out. I promise it. There's no such thing as too far gone, or impossible to save.
Asking for help isn't being weak. There is strength in vulnerability. There is strength in leaving the shells we hide in to protect ourselves. There are people who want to help you see the strength in you.
You are loved.
You are strong.
You are you.
Don't let anyone else define you.
If you need help, ask. I'll have a link at the bottom of this post to a fantastic site that helped me.
There is no such thing as too lost, or too broken. No such thing.
You are loved.
You are strong.
Say it. I am strong.
Thanks.
Tyler.
This link is a link to a bunch of links to get help with a large number of issues. If you need help, don't pass it up. Please don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment