Sunday, January 8, 2012

Between the trees.

 I've been walking through the woods. There are trees everywhere. There are roots that are tripping me. Thorns are scratching me. I've been being chased by large animals that aren't friendly. I've seen sweet looking berries that are just poison. I've seen friendly looking animals that attack when I'd let my guard down.
I have been alone, and accompanied the entire time. I've been haunted, held back, tied down, blinded, deafened, and muted. I've lost everything I had when I started the journey into these woods. I've changed. I've been forced to be mature, to deal with inhumane amounts of stress. I'm beaten down, broken up, and torn apart. I've cried myself to sleep, woken up raging. I've thrown punches at nothing, and been knocked out by thin air.

I had given up again. Sat down and broke down and cried. I cursed my creator. I asked how much worse it could get. I got informed of a superhero who's dying. I started to die inside. I gave into the beast inside. I pushed the ones who were searching for me away. I gave up on faith, rejected love, embraced loneliness.
I cut ties to the past. I ran away from the love and the pain that followed me. I threw away the friendships that sustained me. I betrayed myself to the monsters hiding around.

And then I reached a clearing. I looked up at the sky. It was still dark, approaching morning. I kept walking. I started looking up more often. I realized that if I looked between the trees, I could see light, see beauty, see life. I started to pick things up. Things I had feared lost. Things I had thrown away.
I had given up and lost everything, but things were coming back. Things were getting better. I had hated myself, hated my past, rejected a future. In this, I found myself, found my heart, found a spark of warmth.
It isn't easy, and probably never will be, but sometimes you have to look between the trees. There's sunlight there, and love dancing in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment