Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Life.

I know a song that says, "He's the kid with a story no one would believe."
I've been told by a few people that have heard my story that if it came from anyone else, they'd disregard it. They'd say I was lying.
Lately, I've felt oddly compelled to share it. I'll most likely leave some things out. Definitely names, etc. Any names that appear in here will either be changed, or I'll have permission to use their names.
Some of this story is bad. Some good. Some happy. Some sad. A lot of it hurts. Thanks for reading.

My name is Tyler. I was born in Naples, Florida. The day was the 5th of February. My dad, Craig, was fifteen years old. His girlfriend was eighteen. Her name will be left out. A little less than two years later, my brother was born. His name is Zach. Before his birth, my father and his girlfriend split up. At Zach's birth, my father was absent. Because of this, he isn't on my brother's birth certificate. At the birth, there was a question over the identity of the father of Zach. Now, there's no mistaking the fact that Zach is his son. They're nearly identical.
At this point, Zach and I lived with our birth mother and her boyfriend. Pretty soon a pretty little girl named Kaylee was born. I was about three.
After Kaylee was born, Mom's boyfriend began abusing my brother and I. Heavily. I lost some vision. My brother is nearly deaf. He has a total of 3% hearing in his right ear. That's it. Nothing in the left. This left him with a bad speech impediment also.
When I was about four, my mother called my dad and said she couldn't take care of us. We cost too much money, and she didn't want us. At least she admitted it, I guess.
My father would come down randomly to visit (we lived in Arkansas and he lived in Illinois/all over the place at the time) and would always have toys and such for us, so when I was told Dad was coming, I was so happy. I couldn't wait.
When dad got there, I realized my brother and I had a bag of clothes packed. I thought it meant we were going to stay with Dad a while, so I was still really happy. This was going to be an adventure.
It turned into a permanent adventure. When we got to Illinois, my brother and I slept on the kitchen floor of Dad's apartment. Dad had a girlfriend. I hated her. She was too motherly. I remember my dad leaving for work every morning and remember him coming home and I'd already be in bed. He'd smell like grease and metal from the factory he worked at. We moved out of that apartment pretty fast. We ended up in a small house, but Zach and I had a room. We shared it, grudgingly (at 5 and 3 yrs old, we didn't like each other much), but we shared.
I started school. I lived in Galesburg and went to Nielson, although Silas Willard was two houses down from where we lived. I hated Nielson. I got into trouble a lot. I had issues with authority. I attacked my teacher a few times. Got suspended tons. Then, my teacher figured out I needed to be challenged. I was a very smart and precocious child. I was gifted at reading. My teacher figured this out fast. She started challenging me, saying I couldn't pass a quiz on a story. So I proved her wrong.
At the end of kindergarten, I was given the first Harry Potter book. I hated this book. I had to read a chapter out loud before I could eat lunch during that summer. I loved food. Still do. It was torture to read before eating. Pretty soon, I finished the first book. And I received the second one. I finished this one during first grade. After first grade, I got switched schools. Started going to Silas Willard. I hated Illinois. We spent every summer in Florida. Florida was my home.
I didn't make many friends in second grade. I was teased for being fat. I became a bully.
This carried on through third grade, our move back to Naples, fourth grade at The Vineyards (super nice private school), fifth grade at Laurel Oaks (another awesome school) and sixth grade.
Sixth grade was a big year. I started making some friends. We lived in apartments. I discovered I liked playing football with the neighborhood kids. These kids weren't the best influences. I started fighting. Figured out I can fight really well. Really well.
On a brighter side, I started in Orchestra. Picked up the string bass, viola, and violin. I continued playing those for years.
In sixth grade, I brought a knife to school. I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I got caught, In Florida, that's a felony charge if you're in high school. I got expelled. Banned from public schools in Collier County for two years. I went to a school called Phoenix. We were the bad kids. The ones who weren't right for public schools. I had to get up at 4 am because school started at 5. This lasted two months.
Finally, dad decided we needed to move. At the time, he was running a huge towing business. We had lots of money, and never needed anything. But he wanted me in normal school, so I could learn.
We moved to Illinois. I started football. I was starting nose guard. I was good. Very good. But I got into fights. After season, a kid hit me in the side of the face with a metal art stool. I turned around and broke his nose. Got expelled because he bled. We moved to Alabama.
That's part 1. I'll finish it tomorrow.
Thanks.
Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment