Thursday, April 28, 2011

Communication

If you didn't know, I love music. The band Rise Against has a song called "Swing Life Away" that starts out with a line that I think is applicable to the topic of communication. It says, "Am I loud and clear, or am I breaking up?" That is a thought that I know regularly pops into my head.
Relationships are built on communication, and frankly, kids aren't being taught to communicate. Sure, they take public speaking in high school and they learn to write letters and all that, but they aren't taught to truly share their hearts. Boys are told it's girly to share and talk about their feelings, and girls seem to think that if they share how they feel, they'll get hurt. They also aren't taught to listen. Listening is just as important. If you can't listen, then you are just as bad off.
This mentality and fear that is taught to us is killing our relationships. Couples struggle to talk to each other. Marriages are breaking down. People lose their faith. These things are all over. Everyone knows someone who's broken up with a girl/boyfriend, who's been divorced, who's lost their faith. It's hard on them. And it all starts with a lack of communication.
The biggest thing is a lack of listening in my life. I hate listening sometimes. When I pray, I'm too impatient to wait for an answer. With my girlfriend, I get tired of hearing her complain (if you read this, sorry). And that's wrong. People need to be listened to. When nobody listens to you, you feel ignored and alone. You feel like nobody cares.
Everyone should feel listened to. Nobody is truly alone. I challenge everyone to find someone to listen to and connect with. It's tough, but worth it. In the words of Doug, "Dance with the girl nobody's dancing with." Don't leave someone alone because they look like they don't fit in. Include everyone. Love everyone. Thanks
Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment