Monday, August 22, 2011

Soften your heart

I'm learning. It's normal for a college sophomore to learn. I guess.
I'm not really learning academically though. I'm still in easy classes that require a minimum of effort. I'm learning about people. Learning about people and why they do what they do.
I used to judge people's actions. Not like right or wrong, but why they do things. I know a guy who has done some really bad things. He's bitter about them. He's always done his best for me. He's been a friend for a long time.
He has issues with anger though. And tends to alienate the ones who look up to him. We had a big fight about a month ago. I haven't talked to him since. I got angry. And bitter about how he treats the ones he loves.
I've seen him twice sinde then. Once was when I went to his house to pick up some of my things. When I got there, he walked outside. I got mad again. He couldn't even look at me. The second time was at a dinner. I sat across from him and he didn't even look at me. It hurt. I passed it off as him being a jerk.
Recently, I've been mulling over these things and I realized something. My ideas of how a friendship should be are sometimes a little unfair. I expect to get what I give, and some people can't give what I want them too.
It's a hard lesson. I'm a naturally bitter person. I find it hard to forgive. I did figure out that I need a softer heart. I'm too mean to people. Too unforgiving. I still can't talk to this guy and say that I forgive him and mean it. I just can't.
I need to soften my heart. Everyone does though. Everyone has issues with forgiveness. Forgiving others, forgiving themselves. We are raised with hearts hardened to "survive". We are taught to be tough.
I'm not perfect. Believe me, I want to share this because what helps me, can help other people too. That's what this blog is about.
Thanks.
Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment